SOLUTIONS FOR CARE - How to take care of your elder loved one during the winter months
We want to assist you while taking care of your elder loved one. March is the final month of winter, but there is still stuff you can do to make it easier on your loved one. We have compiled a list of resources and tips we have for you to assist you during this wintertime.
10 Tips for Elder Care during the Wintertime
- 1. Stock emergency resources in their homes.
2. Watch the temperature.
3. Identify and eliminate fall risks.
4. Eliminate potential fire risks.
5. Encourage them to stay active and try safe exercises at home.
6. Practice safety precautions in the car.
7. Keep a keen eye on their nutrition.
8. Establish a plan for winter emergencies.
9. Provide your elder with a cell phone that is easy to use.
10. Dress smart for cold weather.
Solutions for Care Resources
Medicaid: Free medical insurance dependent on income. Health can be especially at risk during the cold.
Medicare Part D Description Plan: Prescription drug plans for Medicaid for eligible beneficiaries.
SNAP: The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program helps low-income people and families buy the food they need for good health. Benefits are provided through the link card.
Low Income Home Energy
Assistance Program (LIHEAP): Helps low-income seniors stay safe and healthy through initiatives that assist families with energy costs.
Furnace Assistance: This is designed to restore the home’s heating system back to a safe and effective operation. Even though we are coming to the end of winter you can still apply!